With the growing size of the world’s population comes larger woman who wear larger size clothing. Retailers are quite aware of this trend and many brands are cashing in on this ever growing demographic.
More than 50% of women are over a size 14. This is an emerging market for both retailers and the modeling agencies that provide them with talent to showcase their clothing lines.
The days of models being a scant size zero eating their grilled chicken salad in hair and make up may be on the decline as the new era of plus size models emerges.
Aspiring models have often struggled with the specific requirements set by the modeling industry. They often make the mistake of thinking being over a size 8 or 10 would be the death of their modeling career yet plus size models between size 10-20 are in demand.
There is now a growing trend of plus size modeling agencies staking claim to their piece of the plus size model pie.
Here is a list of the top 5 best plus size modeling agencies:
1) MSA Models – I like the energy and professionalism I feel this agency offers. They are also located in the epicenter of modeling which is none other than New York, NY.
2) Dorothy Combs Models – Located in my favorite winter time getaway Miami Florida, you will find Dorothy’s agency which specializes in plus size models. They represent women size 10-16 and are always looking for new talent. They are credited with winning the 2012 Plus Model Agency of the Year award.
3) 12+ UK Model Agency – This high profile modeling agency in Europe specializes in models with curves. Their website clearly reveals the support they have for those looking to break into the plus size modeling industry.
4) BGM Models – Founded in 1995 in Australia, BGM Models is looking for women size 12 and over to represent. With models such as Samantha Morris, Laura wells and Natasha Fowler you are sure to see one of their models gracing the covers and advertisements of many of Australia’s finest magazines and businesses.
5) JAG Models – This new agency has been getting quite a bit of press lately and is one to keep an eye on. Located in New York City this agency was founded by two former Ford Model employees who are sure to keep their momentum going.
It is refreshing to see an industry notorious for catering to those size double zero to 2 finally recognizing the demand for plus size models who better represent the average woman.
Women who have aspired to become a model but have feared rejection based on their weight now have hope.
In the next 1-2 years the list of agencies who represent plus size models will continue to grow and the industry will continue to embrace and accept the curvy women plus size agencies represent.